Email here to request a free tour of Old Kennett. Tours are offered by request and take about 30-40 minutes. Donations are appreciated to keep up with the restoration project.
Use of metal detectors is not allowed in the burial ground area, please respect our ancient burial ground.
Metal detectors may be used on the property around the Meetinghouse. Please be sure to refill any holes that are dug and replace grass when digging for artifacts. Let us know what you find.
Written in 1910 on the occasion of Old Kennett Meeting's Bicentenial
Two hundred years ago, they say,
These walls composed of stone and clay,
Were built by men whose faith and zeal
Greatly aided our common weal.
We who are gathered here today
To honor those who have passed away,
Have but faint idea of the patient care
And trials these men were compelled to bear.
Their work was good—they built to endure,
Each stone was laid to be secure,
How well they toiled we can see today.
For nothing has crumbled or gone to decay.
The seats and benches were quite plain;
Few people at that time were vain;
No cushioned pew was given thought—
The grace of God was only sought.
The meetings were earnest, though members few;
The members were scarce, for our land was new.
Around these historic grounds where the pine trees nod,
Sincere was the praise they gave to God.
Let us all resolve to take greater part
In helping those of heavy heart;
To assist each other and worship the Lord,
And there can be no doubt of our heavenly reward
by S. Hammer Benson.1910